Counterfeits in electronic components

Moderators: Sargon72, CHVL, fdimeglio

berger
Full Name: Gerardo Mateo

Counterfeits in electronic components

Unread post by berger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 am

Hello,

What I explain below I have previously explained in other forums, but I think it is interesting to spread it.

For those who repair chess computers it is becoming increasingly difficult to find certain old integrated circuits.

For example, although I'm using the new WDC 65C02 at 14MHz for repairs (W65C02S6TPG-14), I decided some time ago to buy a lot of five 65C02 at 10MHz. They arrived after two months. Well... they're counterfeits. With the tests that I've done and comparing details of the package with others I have, I think they're R65C02P4 (4MHz) re-marked with the reference 'WDC W65C02S8P-10' (10MHz)

The truth is that I was not surprised... is what I expected, but I wanted to try! because modern WDC is not always easy to adapt in older chess computers.

Well... In order that another incautious person does not fall into the trap, this is the seller:
www.ebay.com/usr/gowin_electronic

And this is the counterfeit 65C02:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171526281785

Regards,
Gerardo M. (aka Berger)

ps.- My 'negative' opinion of that product was never published in eBay... it was censored, and eBay has never answered to my complaint.

CHVL
Full Name: Maurice M Ohayon

Re: Counterfeits in electronic components

Unread post by CHVL » Sun May 23, 2021 7:45 am

Hello Gerardo,

I hope you are doing well in this period of COVID-19.
I am always following your interesting posts on your website.
I saw that you were able to repair a Robot Adversary.
I came recently on a beautiful Robot Adversary, but with broken arm.
Do you have time and interest to guide me with the repair or would want to do it?
Best,

Maurice