Interest fluctuations...

Collector corner, games, news.

Moderators: Sargon72, CHVL, fdimeglio

CHVL
Full Name: Maurice M Ohayon

Interest fluctuations...

Unread post by CHVL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 am

Since a while, we see on eBay (but not only on eBay) less interest for the old dedicated chess computers.
Prices are decreasing. Demand is going slowly down.
After a period of great excitation around the new machines, the old machines have difficulty to maintain their level of interest.
Maybe this is only temporary.
What do you think?
kr

Maurice

Sargon72
Full Name: Hans van Mierlo

Re: Interest fluctuations...

Unread post by Sargon72 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 am

Hello Maurice,

To mine opinion it is temporary .
But for me the valuea is still high , depends how u look to it

Kr,Hans

CHVL

Unread post by CHVL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I will agree :) ... if I see the numbers getting higher!

Maurice

CHVL

Unread post by CHVL » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 am

During the past 3 years, we saw the interest shifting to the new computers.
Interestingly, the new computers were not so new: using classical programmers of the gold era of Dedicated Chess Computers and board design as Exclusive boards, or TASC computer with chess piece recognition. I was interested to see how far the old programs were pushed ahead by faster microprocessors.
However, these are so strong that I prefer playing my oldies: at least, I have some rare chance to win :)
I suppose that people are starting to realize that the educational part with chess is to learn not only from our errors, but also from the errors of our opponents, computers included. On this side, new computers are not giving us one chance.

Maurice

Sargon72
Full Name: Hans van Mierlo

Unread post by Sargon72 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:16 am

Well i started chess and i had talent ,but i learned a lot of the chess computers ,because in some openings they teach u the weak spot,ore show u where it is
That was once shown by mine TM Vancouver , i played Sicilian flank gambit with g3,f4,e4 etc but the computer did go for c5-c4 and take on d3 ,c2xd3 and put so much pressure on d3 that i could not attack! and i lost in a tournament game
The funny thing was that i was playing tournament myself ,so 1 day i had to play a stronger opponent as me, and what did he play,u can guess the sicillian flank gambit against me
So i did the same as i did see vs mine game vs the Vancouver ,and it worked! i won .
The opponent was so upset/angry ,he said i have never ever lost with this opening
Thanks to mine chess computer , i won the game

Kr,Hans