Phoenix Chess Systems

Rare, exceptional, or very specific computers will be reported and discussed here.
Sargon72
Full Name: Hans van Mierlo

Phoenix Chess Systems

Unread post by Sargon72 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 am

Hello ,

Finally Ruud Martin have ready a new EMU package for the REV II owners

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php/en/home-mainmenu-1

Emulations : Tasc / Montreux package
Tuesday, 10 October 2017 00:00

Phoenix Chess Systems reaching an 8 year celebration is very happy to announce the revival of the ultimate chess computer system : Tasc R30. On my list for adding emulations to the Revelation II Emulator one of my most desired systems, the Tasc R30 but also the Montreux are now in beta test. The Revelation II has two unique features to make this possible, a large display (256*64) and piece recognition. These two made it possible to revive the Tasc R30 system as an emulation. The Tasc R30 is one of the first chess systems featuring the Arm processor, version V2. And piece recognition through the use of the so called Smartboard. The Smartboard I is also emulated, making the emulation a 100% true representation for the combination of the operator module and the Smartboard. In fact even the communication protocol is emulated between operator module and Smartboard.

Phoenix Chess Systems has reached an agreement with Johan de Koning for the versions 2.2 and 2.5. But this is not all, as version 2.23 and the Gideon program (Ed Schröder) are also included. Both Hans van Mierlo (dutch collector of high end chess systems) and Micha Voelschow (together with two friends) were kind enough to add both these programs in the package at no extra costs!

Tasc R30 and these four programs are running on the Revelation II, but as the emulator does take a lot CPU cycles, this is only at maximum of around 8-10Mhz. But hey, its revived, and that is what we aimed at.

Furthermore Montreux and Risc2500 will be added, although we have to figure out how to perform the touch sensor board towards the sensor electronics of the Revelation II.

The package will be priced at 279 Euro, including the Tasc/Montreux and Risc2500. And the 6 available programs within these systems (at the Original hash memory sizes, however up to 8MB is possible). We will release this for the public beginning of December 2017. Please be aware that you need the base emulations, as this is an addon for this package.

And this is not the end of the Emu i think ,Fidelity 68000 ,even the Novag Advarsery ! and more to come

At the end i would say ,Job well done Ruud

Kr,Hans

Egbert
Full Name: Egbert Rapp

Re: Phoenix Chess Systems

Unread post by Egbert » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Hello, Hans,

the TASC emulation is really a great achievement of Ruud! If Ruud now succeeds in significantly increasing the emulation performance on the Revelation II for all 6 emulations (Ruud thought that 40-50% should be possible), at least the Montreux and Saitek Risc 2500 emulations could practically run at their original speed! This would also be extremely helpful for the sales potential of the package.

As you have already written, further emulations are about to be released (Novag Robot Adversary, Fidelity 6502 and 68000)- just great: -)

On Schachcomputer. info I have published a very extensive wish list for further emulations:

Sync by honeybunny https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... on&page=29

Wouldn't it be great to run a Scisys Mark V, or VI, or a Mephisto I, II on 1802, or even a Mephisto Excalibur on Revelation II? Or programs from Applied Concepts? What wonderful oldie competitions with this device would be possible!

Best regards
Egbert