Hello from Barcelona!

Our members could tell us how they became chess computers amateurs...

Moderators: Sargon72, CHVL, fdimeglio

berger
Full Name: Gerardo Mateo

Hello from Barcelona!

Unread post by berger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:30 am

Hello,

My name is Gerardo, alias Berger, and my love for chess computers began less than 10 years ago... when I repaired a friend's chess computer. In search of information I arrived at the MECA Forum, shortly afterwards I went to a live tournament in Valencia, etc. Currently I repair many chess computers, I have designed some interfaces and adapters, and currently I have a small collection, too. ;)

Thank you for creating this new forum.

Best wishes,
Berger

CHVL
Full Name: Maurice M Ohayon

Re: Hello from Barcelona!

Unread post by CHVL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am

Hello Gerardo,

Welcome to the Forum!
I am sure that you have a lot of computers to repair :D
Which chess computers are you collecting?

Maurice

berger

Unread post by berger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Thank you Maurice,

In my small collection there are computers that I like for their electronics, others because I use them in tournaments, others because they are gifts or received as a payment, others that I like to play with, etc.... But for reasons mainly of lack of space, I'm trying not to have many!

Since I see that there's a section of the forum for this issue, I will talk about my chess computers there. ;)

Regards,
Berger

CHVL

Unread post by CHVL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 pm

berger wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:03 pm
Thank you Maurice,

In my small collection there are computers that I like for their electronics, others because I use them in tournaments, others because they are gifts or received as a payment, others that I like to play with, etc.... But for reasons mainly of lack of space, I'm trying not to have many!

Since I see that there's a section of the forum for this issue, I will talk about my chess computers there. ;)

Regards,
Berger
One of my most difficult repairs was with the Novag Robot Adversary...
I succeeded fully only with one... Another was a partial success. and 2 others, a complete failure.

Maurice

berger

Unread post by berger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am

CHVL wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 pm
One of my most difficult repairs was with the Novag Robot Adversary...
I succeeded fully only with one... Another was a partial success. and 2 others, a complete failure.
I've only repaired one, four years ago. It can be seen here.

It is a very nice machine, and it would be great to build it again with a more powerful chess engine. But what I learned while repairing that Novag Robot Adversary is that the normal state of this computer is "out of order". In other words, its design is so complex and weak that I think it's normal that it stops working after a short time. Many elements can be repaired and even improved. But the terrible thing is when the sensory membrane fails. I don't know if anyone has succeeded in successfully removing the top sheet of aluminium, with the intention of repairing or replacing the sensory membrane.

Regards,
Berger

CHVL

Unread post by CHVL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 am

berger wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am
... But the terrible thing is when the sensory membrane fails. I don't know if anyone has succeeded in successfully removing the top sheet of aluminium, with the intention of repairing or replacing the sensory membrane.
An usual problem of the top sheet in aluminum is that anything could scratch or deform this aluminum sheet. One way to avoid the problem is to use an adhesive transparent plastic on the top sheet of aluminum. Moreover, for two of my robots, the magnets under the aluminum sheet were displaced and were reversed for some. I put them back in place and fixed the membrane. In fact, 2 on the 4 adversary robots had this problem.
Yes, I agree, the normal status of this robot is "out of order"...
I think that all the chess robots with an arm have the same defaults: fragile and consequently not working: Novag Robot Adversary, Novag 2Robot.
For the Boris Handroid, Rolf Bühler, its owner, has found a solution: "Fortunately, my retired neighbour, Mr. Ernst Rütti, (...), once a year, checks the robot and repairs broken parts if necessary.".
Finally the most solid of all these chess Robots is... the original Milton Bradley.
For now, I enjoy my Robot Adversary wondering each time that I use it if it will not be a problem...

Maurice

berger

Unread post by berger » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm

CHVL wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 am
For now, I enjoy my Robot Adversary wondering each time that I use it if it will not be a problem...
I hope it keeps working for many years. :)

Regards,
Berger